Saturday, April 19, 2008

Garage sale part 1

Well, today was the big day! We had a fabulously full garage that we couldn't walk around in. People kept bringing things, both baked and garage sale thing until last night around 6:30. Amanda came over and spent several hours helping me organize, which I had no clue how to do. Mom came over last night to get some of her baked goods taken care of and to be up, ready to go bright and early. After the kids were in bed, mom and I ran around hanging up signs. Everything was going as planned, except Caleb did not want to sleep much last night! Oh well, it helped me get going earlier than I would have on my own. Anyway, people started coming by 7:30 and mountains of things moved. I'm sure this was the wierdest garage sale Amanda or my mom had ever been part of.
We didn't have prices on thing, but told them our story (very short version) and told them whatever was on their heart was great for pricing. This threw people for a loop at times and some didn't know what to do. Of course, there were many who were very kind and generous with their donations. We heard so many stories of people who had adopted, knew someone who either had or were in the process of adopting. It was amazing to see people's eyes when they heard what we were doing. One lady didn't buy anything and gave me a $20 bill because she was so moved by what we're doing.
Samuel and I went to pick a pizza for lunch and he was talking how nice the weather was and then he said, "Hey mom, this is what we prayed for! Isn't God good? He answered our prayers!" The whole day was great and tiring, but we made a lot of money, moved a lot of things and are thinking about repeating one Friday to finish off the rest of the stuff.
Now, I'm off to bed so I can be ready to put my house back in order tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great way to draw traffic to a garage sale is craigslist.com - I did this for mine and the first 20 people alone had found out about through that. Its a great way to go beyond those who drive by. Good luck raising money!

Mindy, Adoption Editor bellaonline.com
[url=http://www.bellaonline.com/site/adoption] Adoption Site[/url]

liesel said...

I'm so glad it was successful. I like your idea of not pricing things. Saved you alot of work, plus people could give what they felt lead to give. Great thinking.

WheresMyAngels said...

I had loss your blog and have been wondering how things are going! Off to bookmark it now!