Tuesday, September 1, 2009




I feel like so many things have happened since I posted last, but I know that's not really true. It's just getting into the swing of things, but throwing into the mix a field trip to the zoo with our friends the Baileys. We actually ended up doing school work on Sunday to finish up what needed to be done Friday.
Part of the reason it was dragged out so much was because I was gone most of the day Saturday. We've been partners with CBN for a few years. One of their outreaches is Operation Blessing which provides emergency disaster relief worldwide and has hooked up with 5500 organizations around the US to provide food for the needy. Tulsa has one of the places they've joined with. It's called The Genesis Project. Once a month, they go to a high crime area in Tulsa and hand out a lot of food and household items. I got the opportunity to join them. It was such a blessing to me. There were people who'd lined up at 11:30 pm the night before to have a place in line! I talked to many who had lost a job, had hours cut back, one family who didn't know what they were going to eat that day and just happened to see their neighbor going by with their wagon. People had rolling garbage containers, laundry baskets, garbage bags, boxes, you name it. All ages were there. I felt so badly for the children. I got to be the first person who handed them food! Some wouldn't meet your eyes and some were so friendly and vocally thankful. It was fun to be able to find something good about them and work to brighten their day. At the end of the day, 701 families had been served. I'm not sure what all they got besides the jar of sweet bell peppers I got to give them, but I know it made a difference. I plan on being back there next time they are giving out food. It was an honor to be there.
On a lighter note, we really did try hard this year to have a nice garden. I have never watered so much and cared for these little plants so much. We greatly anticipated our juicy corn crop and sweet watermelon. We did get about 15 cucumbers. But all my ears of corn looked like this.

Can you spy our watermelon crop? (enlarged to show detail)We had three so far, but one turned brown and shriveled up. I do see more blooms, so I'm hopeful. Amazingly, the tomato plants that looked dead have revived with blooms to boot!
I finally made bread the old fashioned way- kneaded by hand and the loaved turned out beautifully! I did it again today and made rolls as well as a loaf. Boy, does it get eaten fast!

Sad news. My new homeschooling buddies are going back to private school. They've been blessed with scholarships for all 4 children. It's wonderful for them, but a sad thing for the Wright girls. We both shed some tears today when we got the news. Fortunately, Abigail and Catherine got to spend some time together today. This was one of the first things they found when they went out to play.Who knows how long that was there or how it got there. Yuck!
Catherine got a new bike this weekend and she was thrilled! Buddy put Caleb on Hannah's bike and pushed him around. What a great weekend!
We're thankful for the cooler weather and great memories made during the days together.

No comments: